How to Start Work at Upwork and Earn Money, When people read or hear about freelancing there is two name suddenly comes to their mind Upwork and Elance, they immediately think of outsourcing jobs for $/hour, I am one of those people 😉
Yet when I decided to start up my freelance Career in 2010, I was amazed to find that Upwork was actually a great source of getting early clients and start money from Home without any issue. Now i am one of TOP Rated Upwork freelancer
Yesterday one of my friend ask me to guide about how to start work on Upwork, My aim to share with you who should be utilizing Upwork and how you can get started and start earnings.
What is Upwork?
Upwork is job posting website and now become a biggest Online & Freelance Market. Individuals from all over the world post jobs or projects that they need help with, and freelancers can apply from anywhere.
Yet there are freelancers and creatives from all over the world starting their online freelance career from Upwork.
Who should be using Upwork?
Anybody can work at Upwork who have good English and good knowledge of any Skill i-e Graphic Design, Web Development, Marketing, Account. Have a quick look through the different Upwork job categories and spend a little time thinking about what category you can fit your skills into. Perhaps you have a current or previous job that fits one of these exactly – in which case this makes this process easy for you!
- Freelancers who are early on in their career and struggling to get their first few clients
- Freelancers who are afraid of selling and negotiations
- Freelancers who want to work remotely
Who should not be using Upwork?
- If you are steadily generating over $3k per month, then you should not consider Upwork
- If you are niched vertically and offer services to a specific target market (healthcare, fitness, education, etc.), then you should not consider Upwork
How much money can you actually make on Upwork?
It is a big question comes everybody mind, I never promise you that you start Dollars in Bulk in first week. But i assure you if you have a good Profile then you can earn Lot of money from here. You can earn $100 to $1000 easily.
How much should you charge?
- Regardless of your experience, the minimum you should charge on Upwork is $10hr. (But i suggest you to keep your eye on building profile rather than how much your earn in start)
- If you price yourself any lower you are putting yourself in competition with individuals overseas who are working for extremely low rates.
- The maximum I was ever able to steadily charge on Upwork. When I raised my rates beyond that, I saw the amount of clients willing to hire me drop dramatically.
How do you get started on Upwork?
- Set up a profile and then go through all of the guided steps to get your profile to 100% completion. This process will take about 4-5 hours and you will have to take a series of tests in your area of expertise.
- Once you have your profile setup, you will be given an application quota of 20 applications (Now Upwork changing it to connects and every account holder get 60 connects monthly.
- My recommendation is at first to keep your application quota and only apply for new jobs.
How do you win jobs on Upwork?
- Write real cover letters.
- There are a lot of individuals on Upwork who just copy and paste the same cover letter to every job opening.
- The simple act of writing a real cover letter about the job posting will do wonders to help you land your first few clients.
How do you know when it is time to move on?
- Upwork isn’t a great long term solution, but it can be that boost you need to get things going at the start.
- As build your marketing machine, you will begin to become less and less dependent on Upwork.
- To this day, I still keep my profile up on Upwork and even at a rate of $16$/hr I am occasionally hired for small projects.
- While Upwork is not for everyone, it helped me and several other creatives I know get our career started.